Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Limits of Handibot

Posted by MichaelCo 
Limits of Handibot
June 20, 2014 01:33PM
I am trying to determine if the Handibot is a good tool for me to buy. I'm still at the beginning point of evaluating, so with each thing I learn, I seem to "collect" more questions. I am definitely in the pre-newbie stage :~)

I can see the Handibot will handle thin material (2 x material), but looks like thicker materials (timbers) like 4 x, or 6 x may be an issue. With the Handibot's 3.25" travel limit can it be used to add profiles to the end of large beams for project like pergolas, arbors, gazebos?

Cutting halfway thru the beam from one side, and flipping the Handibot to the other side could work, but does it bring on any issues? Does the VCarve software make it easy to do this, or would I need to treat this as a separate file? Are there any other tricks/strategies people use to cut material thicker than the Handibot is designed to handle?

I have seen videos on the creeper (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAAoqkpuBg) - does this exist as a product, or just something an individual has created for their own use. If it exists as a product, does it integrate with VCarve?

I have used the free version of Sketch Up (version 13), and wonder if I would need to buy the Pro version in order to export to VCarve.
Is there a good source for tips and good practices for using the Handibot? Things like setting a proper toolpath, initializing and setting up the Handibot.

Thanks is advance,
Michael
Re: Limits of Handibot
June 20, 2014 07:00PM
Michael,
Welcome to the forum, you ask some good questions. I'll answer to the best of my knowledge below.

MichaelCo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am trying to determine if the Handibot is a good
> tool for me to buy. I'm still at the beginning
> point of evaluating, so with each thing I learn, I
> seem to "collect" more questions. I am definitely
> in the pre-newbie stage :~)
> Yes, unless you are looking for something that does everything, and that doesn't exist, it is a good tool for you to buy.
> I can see the Handibot will handle thin material
> (2 x material), but looks like thicker materials
> (timbers) like 4 x, or 6 x may be an issue. With
> the Handibot's 3.25" travel limit can it be used
> to add profiles to the end of large beams for
> project like pergolas, arbors, gazebos?
> you know the limits, question is, are you creative enough to do some good within those limits?

> Cutting halfway thru the beam from one side, and
> flipping the Handibot to the other side could
> work, but does it bring on any issues? Does the
> VCarve software make it easy to do this, or would
> I need to treat this as a separate file? Are
> there any other tricks/strategies people use to
> cut material thicker than the Handibot is designed
> to handle?
> Properly jiged, you could flip materials. Vcarve pro doesn't think that way so you will need to either flip some vectors manually or use something like Aspire that does. When cutting really thick stuff I would think you would be pushing any router, perhaps a better solution would be to use the handibot to make a jig to cut timber on a bandsaw?
> I have seen videos on the creeper
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAAoqkpuBg) -
> does this exist as a product, or just something an
> individual has created for their own use. If it
> exists as a product, does it integrate with
> VCarve?
> the creeper was a demo of what people can do with the handibot and is not available but yes if you want to build one the handibot supports the extra axis. It would not integrate with Vcarve pro directly. Would require a bit of gcode magic.
> I have used the free version of Sketch Up (version
> 13), and wonder if I would need to buy the Pro
> version in order to export to VCarve.
> Is there a good source for tips and good practices
> for using the Handibot? Things like setting a
> proper toolpath, initializing and setting up the
> Handibot.
> With Vcarve pro 7.5 there is a beautiful important feature so yes, straight from sketchup to Vcarve pro. I speak of this some in another thread. As far as tips and tricks, not much yet as still a very young platform. But you have here, the ShopBot forum, and the vetric forum. Also I hope to start dropping stuff at instrutables soon.
> Thanks is advance,
> Michael
June 22, 2014 02:32PM
When you flip wood in a CNC router, Y zero moves to the middle of the workpiece. If (BIG if) you can align the HandiBot's y axis with the first side's y axis AFTER you flip you can mill both sides. ANY difference in the machine's and workpice's y axes (either distance or parallel) is effecticively multiplied by 2 and then cut into the wood.

This is the practical reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 08:01PM by 0,0.
June 22, 2014 02:58PM
double ought speaks truth, also I forgot to mention, I have seen people come up with ways to do variations of tongue and grove that don't involve flipping.

Another way to handle it would be to make an 'on end' jig, then there would be no flipping involved.
June 25, 2014 11:11AM
0,0 Wrote:
> When you flip wood in a CNC router, Y zero moves
> to the middle of the workpiece. If (BIG if) you
> can align the HandiBot's y axis with the first
> side's y axis AFTER you flip you can mill both
> sides. ANY difference in the machine's and
> workpice's y axes (either distance or parallel) is
> effecticively multiplied by 2 and then cut into
> the wood.
>
> This is the practical reality.
Thanks for the warning.
Does the Y zero move when you lift the Handibot off the work piece?
I would have thought resetting the zero off an edge of the beam would have got it pretty close - at least close enough to "blend" with a sander and chisel. I assume I am being overly optimistic. I don't know if this would make a difference, but the standards are relaxed a bit for work on large timber that is 8-10' off the ground.
Currently I use a saber saw for cutting the end profiles, and have to compensate for blade deflection - the following pic is similar to a profile I might do.

Thanks again for your insights
June 25, 2014 11:40AM
Thanks Mark - comments/questions below (in blue)
Mark Evans Wrote:
> Michael,
> Welcome to the forum, you ask some good questions.
> I'll answer to the best of my knowledge below.
>
> MichaelCo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can see the Handibot will handle thin
> material
> > (2 x material), but looks like thicker
> materials
> > (timbers) like 4 x, or 6 x may be an issue.
> With
> > the Handibot's 3.25" travel limit can it be
> used
> > to add profiles to the end of large beams for
> > project like pergolas, arbors, gazebos?
> > Cutting halfway thru the beam from one side,
> and
> > flipping the Handibot to the other side could
> > work, but does it bring on any issues? Does
> the
> > VCarve software make it easy to do this, or
> would
> > I need to treat this as a separate file? Are
> > there any other tricks/strategies people use to
> > cut material thicker than the Handibot is
> designed
> > to handle?
> > Properly jiged, you could flip
> materials. Vcarve pro doesn't think that way so
> you will need to either flip some vectors manually
> or use something like Aspire that does. When
> cutting really thick stuff I would think you would
> be pushing any router, perhaps a better solution
> would be to use the handibot to make a jig to cut
> timber on a bandsaw?

I'd have to be able to rotate the band saw, as the beams are too large to manipulate. I had thought about using a portable bandsaw, which is still a possibility - just thought it might be another use for the Handibot
> > I have used the free version of Sketch Up
> (version
> > 13), and wonder if I would need to buy the Pro
> > version in order to export to VCarve.
> > Is there a good source for tips and good
> practices
> > for using the Handibot? Things like setting a
> > proper toolpath, initializing and setting up
> the
> > Handibot.
> > With Vcarve pro 7.5 there is a
> beautiful important feature so yes, straight from
> sketchup to Vcarve pro. I speak of this some in
> another thread. As far as tips and tricks, not
> much yet as still a very young platform. But you
> have here, the ShopBot forum, and the vetric
> forum. Also I hope to start dropping stuff at
> instrutables soon.

I looked at "what is new in VCarve, and it says "SketchUp files with a .SKP extension (see www.sketchup.com) can be imported as 2D data suitable for machining into a VCarve Pro job ..." - does this mean there is a limitation, and you won't get all the benefits of the 3D model - or does VCarve handle things in multiple 2D layers?
> > Thanks is advance,
> > Michael
June 25, 2014 03:04PM
I saw a "This Old House" episode which showcased a timber frame company who had pioneered the use of CNC to design and mill complete timber frame structures. It was impressive. It also makes me think timber framing is completely out of the Handibot's league, which is not a knock on the Handibot. You need pretty substantial tools for that kind of lumber. And the Handibot is not a 'closed loop' machine, which means that if the bit encounters, say, a knot which slows it down, it won't know and dimensions will be off.

At best you could use the Handibot to cut a profile into some 4 by and then use a bigger router with a bearing bit to complete the cut. But you could make a template out of quarter inch ply which would buy you pretty much the same thing.

I could maybe see the Handibot as a smart tool to position and start timber mortises and tenons. Have to ponder that.
June 26, 2014 01:41AM
Michael,
One question you have to ask yourself, is this your only use-case? If it is then maybe 0,0 has a point, I just can't see the handi tearing through 6x, I love it I am probably it's biggest fan and I know if you had one you'd find lots of use for it but I am thinking for big timber it would do you well to make jigs or cut the first 1/4 inch and then you could come in with a 3 hp router with a guide installed?
For practical purposes I'd call the hb's practical range to be from paper to 2x and face work on any wood size.

To your other follow on question:

I am not an expert on it but all I have gotten exporting from Skup to VcP is flat files but that is still a huge help to me.

M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.