Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Dad I want a Mini Version !

Posted by simplicity 
Dad I want a Mini Version !
July 14, 2014 09:38AM
Its pretty clear that Dad will find one of these extremely useful and congratulations to Handibot for initiating 'Change'.
What will be coming is "Dad I want a Mini Version" so preparing for that ;-)
Actually its an interesting scenario. Little Johnny needs one thats cut down and able to be safely used in the Family Room for his Hobby and Mind activity. Perhaps US LETTER size that can cut fiber or other hobby materials. Is there something to do that or do I have to look at HandiBot for both?. If I have one then he should too but a cut down please.
Please no suggestions relating to Cricut as thats mums world ;-) .. Boys need to be boys (both of us).
Ideas?
Simes
Re: Dad I want a Mini Version !
July 14, 2014 12:42PM
[www.youtube.com]

Perhaps this is what you are looking for, for mini me? mac Os only for now, that is what killed it for me. Glad it did as I am SO happy with the handibot that will do everything this will and a lot more, just not so suited for the kitchen or LR. You could incase the above and have little or no dust problems.
July 14, 2014 01:02PM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the heads up. Looks interesting but still think (for Mini) its too high priced and the Mac OS is a downer as you suggested. At school they talk Microsoft and STL but the OS and format not ideal. Wondering what else could be considered that would pehaps just wood/fiber cut to a max 1/8"?. Keep the suggestions flowing ;-)
Wouldnt be against a kit build if I had to (with Mini help).
Simes
July 14, 2014 10:24PM
For foam, and balsa there is a plethora of kits and plans out there. Can't tell you a lot of specifics as I've passed them by as unsuitable for me.

You could buy a handibot and use it to build the smaller one. Most plans call for laser cut parts but most of those could be cut cnc with minimal redesign.
July 17, 2014 07:36AM
Hi Mark,
We sat down last night and discussed some of the objectives. For MiniMe its allowing him to understand and experience the future that is unfolding and how he can explore. For mum the suggestions are something that could take a gcode or stl file and even using a usb stick to instruct the step motors. I turned mums terminology there in to a bit of techno speak!. Suggestion was take a shape from usb and makes something move! ;-). Her suggestion was that it needs to be safe, simple quiet and slow. The meaning was that MiniMe could load his file and the cutter slowly evolves the shape overnight. Perhaps it does 1 cut then takes a nap itself. It slowly cuts not dissimilar to engraving. In the morning a nice 1/8" profile is there for him to explore the output of his created CAD file etc. Perhaps the material could be glass if engraving is suggested but I am sure that 1/8" fiber may be ok to engrave. Its more the machine and its simplistic behaviour as the goal. Maybe one day he will work on handibot7 and be a big player in the industry we hope.
Slow cut would be safe and could work overnight as he gets his needed boyhood sleep. Thoughs?
Simes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.