Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibot Cutting Speeds

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Handibot Cutting Speeds
July 14, 2014 11:27AM
Hey everyone, I've started tracking my cutting speeds for different materials and bits. To that end, I put them all in a chart where you can see them:

Google Sheets Chart

You can print out this bar chart, or just the numbers grid on the other tab that is below if you scroll down. These speeds are just my personal experience. Your mileage may vary. If anyone has a bit/material/speed formula that works, let me know and I'll include it.
Re: Handibot Cutting Speeds
July 14, 2014 12:46PM
Great start, look fwd to seeing it further filled in. I don't see any router speeds, are you running wide open all the time?
July 14, 2014 12:55PM
Great point, I run it wide open all the time. I just added the router speeds into the descriptions where all the pass and stepover numbers are. This way we can add new lines for different speeds.
July 21, 2014 02:07PM
Hey everyone, I made up a form that you can submit what you're cutting, and how you're cutting it.

[docs.google.com]

I'll curate this info so that we can have a nice average going of what people are cutting. It should make for a nice database of different bits that people are using. It's anonymous and only has a few questions.

I think what I'll do is take similar bit/material combos and show a Hi/Low and an average. This way when you cut something new for the first time you'll have a solid idea where to start.

I just cut some HDPE the other day and I went WAY too slow and I realized I wasted a lot of time, if I had this form I would have gone a lot faster...
July 25, 2014 05:50PM
I see feed speeds for a 1/2" endmill. How did you manage to get an endmill >1/4" in the router?
July 25, 2014 05:54PM
Those are V shaped bits. The shanks are 1/4" The widest part is 1/2" and then it tapers to a point, like this one:

[www.amazon.com]
October 03, 2014 11:35AM
Has anyone tested an O-Flute bit in 6061 aluminum? I am ready to give it a try but hate the thought of breaking my shiny new $40 bit on the first cut. Any advise would be appreciated.

RMW
October 04, 2014 03:46PM
Not knowing what I am talking about has never stoped me before so why now? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Playing around with that chip calc. I get 2 ips. , router set at 1(lowest),

The thing I have gleaned about plastic and aluminum is that unlike wood they will melt.

So, we are going to have to keep the chip load up and who knows what else to keep things cool.

Some thoughts: I use the rule of thumb for depth of cut as equal to the bit diameter for softer woods and X .8 for hard woods, this is going to be way too much for aluminum. I'd start with D x .05 and work up till you hear "slight objection"

Also anything you can do to keep things cool. air, cooled air, pause between passes?

Looking forward to hearing what you learn.

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone tested an O-Flute bit in 6061 aluminum?
> I am ready to give it a try but hate the thought
> of breaking my shiny new $40 bit on the first cut.
> Any advise would be appreciated.
>
> RMW
October 09, 2014 07:33PM
Finally had time to consult the oracle (i.e. Google, no offense Mark winking smiley) and found a feed/speed chart for
Onsrud O-Flutes.

RMW
October 09, 2014 07:50PM
That's a great find. I'll add that to the post!
October 10, 2014 08:27AM
Here are several PDF's I thought especially useful:

Soft Plastics
Hard Plastics
Aluminum
Softwood
Hardwood

Hope to get some time to experiment with AL this weekend, will report back when I do.

RMW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.