Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Help! My Y axis is offset to say -8 when its actually at 0~

Posted by Shoghi 
I was wondering ..is that an alignment issue? or an issue within the software where I just have to reset something? I think this was started when I went to zero my x and y , and when it hit down to the y it just kept going and was stuttering. I quickly stopped it but now it says 0 is -8.7327 something.
Haaalp 8) !
This is just a software thing. When you did the zero your limit switch failed to register for some reason. That is another subject but for the -8.xxx you can just reset to zero. The easiest way is to switch to full mode if you are not already and then just tap ZY.
Shoghi,

One other possibility is that your z-axis limit switch is being triggered when you are attempting the x-y zeroing routine. Try moving the z-axis down and make sure that the green indicator input #3 is not illuminated on the position window in your shopbot control software. This should correct the issue and allow you to run the x-y zero routine. I will also echo Mark's suggestion to switch to "full mode" if you haven't already. This can be done by clicking the blue " ? " button on your control panel.

Brian
One generic note. That stuttering noise that you hear when it hits a hard stop, or when you try to move the tool faster than it's capable of moving, is annoying but it isn't damaging to the tool. It's not grinding teeth off of the gears or anything awful like that. It's doing what's refered to as "missing steps", and the motors are internally jumping between magnetic fields and not destroying themselves!

In the old days we didn't have any limit switches on ShopBots and that's how we zeroed the X and Y axis'. We would use the keypad to move in the negative direction until it hit a stop and started missing steps, and then do our zeroing offsets. I still do that with my 20year old "dinosaur" ShopBot.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.