Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Project in mind but don't know what I need to buy... HELP!

Posted by WoodyWuWu 
I am obviously new to this but I really want to purchase a machine. However, I have no idea what machine I need or what all I need to get started. Here is what I would like to do. I would like to make wood stocks for vintage firearms. If I have a sample of a stock on hand can I use that to upload the measurement to the machine or do I have to know precisely what the measurements are in advance? Is there a laser type machine that will trace a 3D object and take measurements as it goes? I watched the video on the Chess Piece candlestick and that is exactly the idea of what I want to do but have a mountable gun stock as an end result. I hope I have asked the right questions. I don't know enough of the terminology to ask it in shop bot form.
Woody,

The chess pieces in the video that you saw were created with a 3D modelling software called "gemomagic". I'd recommend some kind of 3D dimensioned model for your gunstocks. Shopbot sells a 3D probing tool which can map a surface and then recreate it. However the accuracy that you'll need in order to have all of your parts fit I think demands a real 3D model--ShopBot tools include a license for AutoDesk's Fusion 360--you can also download a free trial from their website to see how you feel about it. That may be a good option for creating your models. Once you have a model you can create the cutting file pretty easily in the other software that comes with the tool, Vcarve pro.

For the size piece that you're wanting to create I think that the handibot may not be the best option. The indexer on the handibot can only turn 3" diameter pieces at a length of about 7". I think a much more practical option would be a larger ShopBot with a 6" indexer. We recently posted about a gun stock project on our blog @ shopbot: [www.shopbotblog.com]

That said, if you've got plenty of time and don't mind a little problem solving, there is always a way to do things with the handibot. My preference would be to create a cut file for 4 sides of the gun stock (top, bottom, right and left sides) Then using a piece of something like a 4x4 you could flip your material under the handibot manually and machine it from 4 sides. You'd just need to be a little creative in creating a jig to hold your work.

Brian
Woody,

There are laser based (non-contact) tracers on the market. We have a Romer Arm at work (day job) made by Hexagon Metrology. There are other manufacturers as well. Ours is sensitive enough to read the varying thickness of the ink on stickers. The real life downside of this is they will pick up every little knick and ding in the old stock. Unless you want them replicated as well, you still need some knowledge of post processing. (Or know someone who can help.)

You may want to look into contracting the initial scanning and post processing in the startup phase. Especially if you are learning CNC as well. Easier learning by taking one bite at a time. Easier on the pocketbook too. You can still take the file and modify the exterior looks (handgrip, buttstock etc.) as the bedding and trigger area can be left unchanged.

Alternately, there may be someone out there who has already done the work. In that case paying them for the file is well worth it. Just make sure the file format is compatible/importable into the system you get.

Finally, you can also go oldschool with calipers et al and design from scratch.

Ted

PS Geomagic looks AWESOME. I'll be looking into adding it to my workshop if the numbers work.
Just a note on AutoDesk Fusion 360. I have been learning to use it and it is very good software. You can request a free one-year license for the software as long as your business makes less than $100k per year (I believe that was the number - it is listed on their website). So it is a good CAD/CAM option for a small business.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.