Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibot carrying case

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Handibot carrying case
March 06, 2014 10:00AM
Hey all, I've been thinking about making a carrying case for the Handibot out of plywood.

As you know, I have the large material jig, and not everyone has that, or will have it when they first get their bot, so I am trying to create a way that one could be made with just a regular fence that you could fabricate out of scrap...

I am thinking of a basic case that locks together with notches that you could screw together... So you'd cut out the big rectangles for the sides on a table saw, and then you could pencil out where you want the notches to be, and put your Handibot on the sides of the plywood and cut the notches.

You could also use the Handibot to make handle holes in the sides so that it could be picked up...

I am going to start designing it in Sketchup, but if anyone has any suggestions I am totally open, let's community source this thing!

The think the key is making it easy to build in a way that only the Handibot can help you do...
Re: Handibot carrying case
March 06, 2014 08:19PM
I envision something which after it is open and the bot is out would have bits and accessories close at hand...
March 06, 2014 09:40PM
Eric,

This is a great idea and I was thinking the same thing. I have been communicating with David from handibot and suggested that handibot should ship with a few starter step-by-step guides on how to produce some accessories for handibot. Or even better having a community guide/wiki for handibot where new guides could added in consistent format.

After reading some of your posts and it seems you are experienced with CNC, but me being new I found that guide book that shipped with handibot leaves a user in a spot where they cannot use the tool without actually going through the process of filtering out information on shopbottalk forums, vectric website, etc.

It would be great if there were some getting started guides that helped one to get acquainted with the process of printing models using handibot while at the same time creating some useful accessories. This give some nice practical applications for the tool of use.

I thought a carrying case was a really nice idea for a portable tool, small toolholder/bit was another. I am also trying to think up a sort of a jig to make changing bits on handibot easier without having to reposition the tool. I was looking at this kind of hinges

As it allows cutting peices out of plane without having to cut groves or anything. That one has 2 positions but obviously it could be only one joint.

It might even be possible to combine the three ideas carrying case + tool changer + toolholder if the pieces could snap in out. A modular transformer jig case smiling smiley

Handibot has a github repo with few model, it would be great to create one with community contributed content where people could add their models.

I am still ramping up my sketchup skills but it seems a great application to make these kind of models in.
March 06, 2014 09:51PM
I second pretty much everything Boris said.
March 06, 2014 09:58PM
Alright, I'll get on designing something that can be built without anything more than a homemade fence... I think I can pull this off....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.