Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Work flow and thanx Eric

Posted by Mark Evans 
Work flow and thanx Eric
June 19, 2014 05:10PM
When Vcarve Pro came out with 7.5 I had no idea why Eric was so excited about the Sketchup important feature. Since then I've been teaching myself Sketchup. It has been hard for me as it is a major paradigm shift for me but it is worth it!

For things that will be from multiple parts this is my work flow now.
1) concept in my head.
2)draw it in Sketchup
2.1)this is where bad ideas die.
2.2) decided what parts can be cut faster and better on a saw
2.2.1) print out anything you want for reference
3)import into Vcarve Pro
3.1) delete anything not needed like the parts that are to be cut on a saw..
3.2) extended any vectors like datos or rabbits so you don't get those nasty quarter rounds.
3.3)turn vectors into cuts
4)save and cut.
This is working great for me, feedback welcome.

The thanks part, I have gathered from other threads that Eric was instrumental in getting this feature. Now that I understand it I think he deserves a big thank you.
Re: Work flow and thanx Eric
June 19, 2014 08:13PM
Mark I have not used my HB much since 7.5 came out but I was also excited about the Sketchup connection. I have used SU sinced about version 5-6 and can whack out a simple model in no time. I am not very skilled in the nicer aspects of it but LOVE the flexibility of working in points/lines/surfaces. You are correct, it is a huge paradigm shift it you are familiar with more structured CAD software.

I also like the ability to model in 3D using an assembly of various components & not be limited to drawing individual parts in 2D and viewing renderings. I like it enough that I am on the brink of springing for the $595 to go pro and get Layout.

There are also SU plugin's like Sketchucam that lets you export straight to DXF or STL. I have not experimented with it more than to use it on some simple shapes for a new 3D printer, but that worked really slick. My problem is fast becoming too many toys and not enough time to play. Pesky "work" keep getting in the way.

Thanks to both you and Eric for egging on the forum and sharing your projects and advise.

RMW
June 19, 2014 08:50PM
Thanks for the input Richard, can you please tell me what you really get when you go pro with Sketchup?
June 19, 2014 09:02PM
Pro give you LayOut, as far as I can tell that is the major difference. I do some furniture and architectural design stuff so the ability to create drawings is of value to me.

Eric or others may know of more differences.

RMW
June 20, 2014 01:29PM
Glad you guys like the tutorials!

If there is anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to let me know.

As far as LayOut, the major difference is that you get LayOut which lets you take your Sketchup models and make plans out of them. You also get DXF and other importers for Sketchup with Pro, and some Solid Tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.